Tuesday 23 November 2010

Old Indian Man

I deliver to a main road in Huddersfield called Bradley Road, and have done for the passed five years. One day last year I was walking back to my car after doing my post round. I can remember feeling fed up because it had been a bad day and I was running late.
So, I'm walking back to my car up Bradley Road and I see an old Indian man sat on a low wall at the side of the road. He is sat motionless. I get closer and realise that he's meditating. I couldn't believe it. I started to shake with excitement and shock. There was a man on Bradley Road meditating with cars, trucks, motorbikes whizzing passed him!! This was something you don't see everyday. I didn't say anything as I walked passed him, I didn't want to disturb him.
I got back to my car and sat there for about 30 seconds before a voice in my head said, "Go and ask him what he's doing." I hesitated but the voice carried on. I started my car up and I went and parked next to him. I got out of the car and said, "Excuse me, what are you doing?"
His eyes were open the entire time but fixed on a position somewhere on the floor. His hands were resting on his knees and his thumbs were touching his middle fingers. His walking stick was resting beside him on the wall. He glanced up at me and smiled - a huge cheeky child-like smile. "I'm meditating," he said in a strong Indian accent. I was speechless and just laughed.
"Where are you from?" I asked.
"I'm from India," he said.
"How long have you been meditating for?"
"About 15 years. I meditate as much as I can, all my spare time I meditate."
Then the roles changed and he started to ask me questions.
"Are you Christian?" he asked.
"No," I said.
"When you meditate," he said, "you'll see a light." He pointed to the area in between his eyebrows. "You will hear sounds, too. The more you meditate the more you will realise that God is within. You are God. People look outside for God but God is within."
All I could do was smile and nod my head.
"Are you religious?" he asked.
Now, at this point I said yes, but what I meant was I was spiritual not religious, but it felt easier just to say yes.
He pointed to my body. "Your body is a temple. Your body is God's temple. You are God and the more you meditate you will see that everyone else is God too and we are all one."
Although I've read these words before and even come to such conclusions myself, to hear them come from his mouth was something special. He had such a child-like quality to him.
"What are you doing now?" I asked, referring to the type of meditation he was practising.
He then said a word in Punjab that I didn't understand so he said it again. Again, I didn't understand. "Breathing exercises!" he said with enthusiasm.
I shook my head in amazement and said, "Wow, that's just brilliant." (Geeky in hindsight, I know)
I held out my hand for him to shake it, which he did, and then he said, "I'm really happy to see you." He put his hands together like he was praying, he shut his eyes, smiled and bowed his head.
I got back in my car and drove off slowly, gradually trying to make sense out of what just happened.
All this wouldn't have happened if I was 'running on time'.

No comments:

Post a Comment