Monday 24 February 2014

Killing Time

Time  - do we really have enough of it to kill?

Some simple calculations massively changed my perspective of the time I had here on this amazing planet.
  1. If I live till I'm 80 years old, from the moment I was born, I was assigned approx 29,200 days. 
  2. This is also the approximate number of sunrises and sunsets that are available to see.
  3. If I live till I'm 80 years old, from the moment I was born, I was assigned approx 4160 weeks.
  4. This is also the approximate number of the amount of weekends I will have. 
  5. If I live till I'm 80 years old, from the moment I was born, I was assigned approx 960 months.
  6. This is also the approximate number of full moons I would get to see (if I remembered to look up).
  7. If I live till I'm 80 years old, from the moment I was born, I will get to see approximately 320 springs, summers, autumns and winters (although the winters could do with being less . . .)   
Your reaction to these simple figures will depend on your perspective of life and ultimately yourself.

I know so many people who talk about writing a book - who talk about starting a blog - who talk about starting a business - who talk about enrolling on a course . . . but they're just empty words because they're not backed up by action. 

The majority of those people, once those words have been expressed, sometimes with passion and determination too, get buried beneath idleness, doubt and ultimately fear.

I've lost count of the amount of people who say such things, but when they go home they sit in front of the TV or computer all night, watching videos, TV series and playing on computer games. Now, I'm not against these things, each to their own. We all have our ways to relax. But it's when those same people complain about and/or mock those of us who are trying to make the most of our time here, that pisses me off. Those of us who have looked at the figures above and said, 'Shit . . . I don't have much time left. I'm going to do it!' . . . whatever that may be. Yet, when things start to go well and fit into place for those of us who make the effort, the idle ones sit back, the TV screen shimmering on their faces, and they say, 'They're lucky.'

It has nothing to do with luck.

It has everything to do with desire, ambition, determination, self-belief, faith and tenacity.

 . . . BECAUSE WE ONLY HAVE PROBABLY LESS THAN 4000 WEEKS TO MAKE AN EFFORT!

By the time they've finished watching all of Breaking Bad, they could've finished the first draft of their first book - easily.

By the time they've completed the new Grand Theft Auto, they
could've started up a blog and be having thousands of hits . . . possibly a blog about computer games, which could be earning them a second income.

By the time they've finished watching meaningless videos on youtube and vimeo, they could've enrolled on a course . . . they could've even completed it and be walking on a new improved path.

Do NOT kill time - it is murder.

I was shown a postcard yesterday. It was written by a boy of six years old. It read:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called The Present. Make the most out of each day."

He might've got it from Kung fu Panda, but who cares!?

Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick Tock Tick TockTick Tock Tick TockTick Tock Tick TockTick Tock Tick

www.gavinwhyte.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment